I asked on Twitter for some reading recommendations:
Do you have personal recommendations for near-ish future, tech-aware /focussed, fiction, please, ideally available as an ebook? Dystopian stuff is fine (as is anything more positive!), but bonus marks for minimal violence.
I was deluged with suggestions.
I'm putting them here for others, but mainly so I can keep a record of them:
- Chuck Wendig's "Wanderers".
- Anything by Charles Stross, with particular recommendations for the "Laundry Files" series. "Halting State", and "Accelerando". (I enjoyed Stross's "Rule 34".)
- Dave Eggers' "The Circle". (I agree - I enjoyed it. But I have a few friends who did not, so YMMV.)
- Peter f Hamilton's "The Great North Road".
- Anything by Cory Doctorow. (I've read pretty much everything, if not actually everything Doctorow has published, and I've enjoyed it greatly).
- Anything by Daniel Suarez, with a particular recommendation for "Daemon".
- Peter Watts, with a warning of "a lot of psychological abuse in his plots".
- Becky Chamber's series including "the galaxy, and the ground within". A separate recommendation for her "A Psalm for the Wild Built"
- William Gibson's "The Peripheral", and "The Jackpot". "Neuromancer" was also mentioned - I tried it (and I really did try), but I couldn't get into it. There is a radio play version, which I found very enjoyable.
- Anne E Currie’s "Panopticon" series. (I picked the first of these, "Utopia Five", as the first book from this list, and it is superb.)
- Tim Maughan's "Infinite Detail". (And I loved Heather's description of "set in post-apocalypse, hacker-controlled Bristol".)
- Ted Chiang's "Exhalation" and "Stories of Your Life".
- Mike Masnick (of techdirt fame)'s "Working Futures: 14 Speculative Stories About The Future Of Work". (I have this on my eReader, but unread...)
- "A People's Future on the United States"
- Ramez Naam's "Nexus" trilogy.
- Andy Weir's "The Martian".
- Ken MacLeod's "The Star Fraction".
- "Dare To Know" (albeit with the recommendation of "It's alright").
- Andrew Hunter Murray's "The Last Day".
- Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Dogs of War".
- Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age".
- Matthew Blakstad's "Sockpuppet".
- Ian McEwan's "Machines Like Me".
- Kazuo Ishiguro's "Klara and the Sun".
- qntm's "There is no Antimemetics Division".
- Diane Cook's "The New Wilderness".
- Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".